• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

HCPCS for Walk-in tub?

Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to locate the hcpcs code for a walk in bath tub. I see codes for chairs, heating units stools and benchs but nothing for a walk in tub. Can anyone help me?

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
It appears there is no code for this. I found a relevant document on the cms.gov site:
http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Coding/MedHCPCSGenInfo/Downloads/050912-Agenda-Supply-Other.pdf

The above document is from May 9 2012. A manufacturer of walk-in bath tubs was requesting code for these types of tubs. The following is part of the document.

"Background/Discussion:
According to the requester, Safety Tub Walk-in baths are bath fixtures with inward opening
doors to allow ease of entry and exit. Safety Tub utilizes a patented, watertight door system with
a self-sealing gasket and is supported by a freestanding metal support frame with leveling feet.
These walk-in bath fixtures include an integrated 17" high seat, integrated grab bars, and cable
driven drains. Safety Tub is available as a soaker unit without hydromassage or with a variety of
hydromassage systems including whirlpool, heated air injection, or combination system. All
products are available in either a left or right handed drain version. According to the requester,
there are no existing codes to describe accessible bathing fixtures.

Preliminary Decision:
A national program operating need to establish a code for this product was not identified by
Medicare, Medicaid or the Private Insurance Sector. For coding guidance, contact the entity in
whose jurisdiction a claim would be filed. For Medicaid, contact the Medicaid Agency in the
state in which a claim would be filed. For private insurance, contact the individual insurance
contractor. For Medicare, contact the Medicare contractor.

Medicare Payment:
Based on our preliminary benefit category analysis, we believe that there would be no Medicare
payment for this item."

L

Leland Andrew

Thanks for the documentation link, I was trying to get HCPCS code, since it was not present on my walk in bath tubs. Appreciating your help.

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Great sleuthing Ruth!

Michele

CPC
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
It appears there is no code for this. I found a relevant document on the cms.gov site:
http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Coding/MedHCPCSGenInfo/Downloads/050912-Agenda-Supply-Other.pdf

The above document is from May 9 2012. A manufacturer of walk-in bath tubs was requesting code for these types of tubs. The following is part of the document.

"Background/Discussion:
According to the requester, Safety Tub Walk-in baths are bath fixtures with inward opening
doors to allow ease of entry and exit. Safety Tub utilizes a patented, watertight door system with
a self-sealing gasket and is supported by a freestanding metal support frame with leveling feet.
These walk-in bath fixtures include an integrated 17" high seat, integrated grab bars, and cable
driven drains. Safety Tub is available as a soaker unit without hydromassage or with a variety of
hydromassage systems including whirlpool, heated air injection, or combination system. All
products are available in either a left or right handed drain version. According to the requester,
there are no existing codes to describe accessible bathing fixtures.

Preliminary Decision:
A national program operating need to establish a code for this product was not identified by
Medicare, Medicaid or the Private Insurance Sector. For coding guidance, contact the entity in
whose jurisdiction a claim would be filed. For Medicaid, contact the Medicaid Agency in the
state in which a claim would be filed. For private insurance, contact the individual insurance
contractor. For Medicare, contact the Medicare contractor.

Medicare Payment:
Based on our preliminary benefit category analysis, we believe that there would be no Medicare
payment for this item."
Hi Ruth,
Thank you so much for doing the research on this. I signed on to post the question and you already had the answer for me!
How great is that?!

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Thank you, Ruth, for sharing the information! You learn something new every day!